Windsor - West Hants Planning Department

Important Notice To The Public
Building Permits, Subdivision

On March 31, 2011, the Windsor-West Hants Joint Planning Advisory Committee, also known as the JPAC, will be officially dissolved. As of April 1, 2011, municipal planning services will be provided to the Town of Windsor and the Municipality of West Hants by two separate planning departments. For inquires relating to Building Permits, Subdivision, Zoning, Civic Numbering, Heritage Property Registration, and all other matters concerning planning and development, Windsor residents must contact the Town Hall at 100 King Street, 798-2275. Residents of West Hants can continue to their planning and development inquiries to the Municipal Office at 76 Morison Drive, 798-6900.

In the Meantime...

The Planning Department provides planning, development control and building inspection services to the Town of Windsor.

The Planning Department provides reports and recommendations on planning matters to the Planning Advisory Committee (PAC). The PAC advises Council on the preparation, amendment or revision of planning documents, subdivision bylaws and planning matters generally.

The Planning Department also provides staff support and recommendations to the Heritage Advisory Committee, which advises Council on matters related to municipal heritage property registration and heritage issues in general.

Additionally, the Department maintains and updates the civic addressing system and provides property and demographic information and mapping services to the public and to other government departments and agencies.

Reminder to Residents

The Planning Department wishes to remind residents that development & building permits are required for any construction project, regardless of size, in the Town of Windsor.

Whether you are renovating an existing building, constructing a new house or just putting up a baby barn, you need to obtain a permit before starting the job. Permits are required for small-scale projects such as signs, awnings, decks, porches, swimming pools, fences and garden sheds. Permits are also required for repairs, alterations or additions, or demolition of existing buildings. Even if no construction occurs, a development permit is needed for a "change of use" such as a new business.

If you are thinking of starting a new business, or beginning a construction project, please check with the Planning Department first to see what permits are required.

How to find us

The Planning Department is located in the W.B. Stephens Building, 100 King Street, Windsor, NS. The office is open between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday, with the exception of statutory holidays. For further contact information, please refer to the Planning Staff page.

Windsor Planning Department
P.O. Box 158, 100 King Street
Windsor, Nova Scotia, B0N 2T0
Telephone:(902) 798-2275
Facsimile:(902) 798-5679