- Published: Friday, 18 January 2019 14:23
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Phase I - Council Size
Phase II - Electoral Boundaries
The Municipality of the District of West Hants and the Town of Windsor will be consolidating into a new Regional Municipality on April 1, 2020. In order to determine the appropriate size of Council and the electoral boundaries of the new Regional Municipality we have engaged Stantec Consulting Limited to perform a Governance Review.
The Co-ordinating Committee will consider Stantec’s review in determining the size of the Regional Council and related electoral district boundaries – and thereafter in applying to the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board for approval of the governance structure in advance of the first election for the new Regional Municipality on March 7, 2020.
As part of this process, we are asking that residents take part in an online survey that will help us to gather opinions on council size for the new Regional Municipality.
Here is the link to the survey Windsor-West Hants Governance Review .
Paper copies are also available at both the Town Office at 100 Kings Street, Windsor or the Municipal Office at 76 Morison Drive, Windsor.
Five public meetings have been scheduled to present information to residents on council size and will provide an opportunity to hear residents' opinions. Each meeting will begin with an open house from 6:00 to 7:00 pm followed by a presentation at 7:00 pm. The meetings will be held as follow:
- Tuesday, January 29 - Avondale Community Hall, 50 Avondale Cross Rd, Avondale
- Wednesday, January 30 - Brooklyn Civic Center, 995 Hwy 215, Brooklyn
- Thursday, January 31 - Upper Vaughan Community Hall, 1015 Hwy 14, Vaughan
- Tuesday, February 5 - Windsor Community Center, 78 Thomas Street, Windsor
- Wednesday, February 6 (snow date for the 1st 4 meetings) - West Hants Municipal Office, 76 Morison Drive, Windsor
- Thursday, February 7 - Falmouth Community Hall, 147 Falmouth Back Rd, Falmouth
- Wednesday, February 13 (snow date for February 7) - West Hants Municipal Office, 76 Morison Road, Windsor
Stantec will present its recommendations on potential council size to the Co-ordinating Committee in February. The recommendations will be based on survey responses, input from the public meetings and consultation with current Council and staff. The Co-ordinating Committee will determine a potential council size or sizes to be used in the boundary determination phase.
A second set of meetings will be held in March in order to gather information regarding electoral boundaries. Information regarding the electoral boundary portion of the process will be announced in February.
- Published: Thursday, 17 January 2019 09:25
Volunteer Appreciation Night 2019
Make Your Nomination(s)
The Town of Windsor and the Municipality of West Hants are seeking nominations for our Annual Volunteer Appreciation Night.
In conjunction with Volunteer Week 2019, April 7th- 13th, community groups are asked to nominate a deserving volunteer. Nominations are due by February 13, 2019. Click on any of the below links to make your nomination(s):
- Published: Tuesday, 18 December 2018 10:33
New Waste App
Apple app store http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1439816255
- Published: Monday, 17 December 2018 10:57
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING - LAND USE BYLAW AMENDMENTS - BREWERIES AND DISTILLERIES
HEREBY TAKE NOTICE a PUBLIC HEARING will be held to consider amendments to the Land Use By-Law (LUB) to better enable the craft beverage industry in the Town of Windsor.
Proposed amendments include expanding the use to permit microbreweries, micro distilleries and wineries in commercial zones such as Town Centre, Highway Commercial, Shopping Centre and General Commercial Zones. (Currently these are permitted as an accessory to the main use). Larger scale Commercial Breweries and Commercial Distilleries in these areas would be considered subject to a Development Agreement. In addition, both small (micro) and large scale (commercial) brewing operations would be permitted in all Industrial Zones.
The meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 7:00 PM in the Town of Windsor Council Chambers.
Members of the public are invited to attend this meeting and make written or oral representation concerning this matter.
Anyone wishing to obtain the staff report concerning this subject may do so by contacting the Town of Windsor Planning Department, 100 King Street, Windsor, N.S. between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday or by calling (902) 798-6689. These documents may also be found here PAC RTC First Reading LUB Amendments Breweries and Distilleries .
- Published: Thursday, 13 December 2018 09:38
Coyote Sightings in Windsor
There have been a few sightings of coyotes in the field between Wentworth Rd – Pazant Dr. and the Tregothic walking trail. Lands and Forests are aware and monitoring the activity. The nearby school is aware.
TIPS (as per Dept. of Lands and Forestry):
- This coyote has been seen hunting mice/rats/moles in the field close to the hospital, once he catches a few critters he will keep coming back to area for the food;
- If people see him or come close to him on the trail or area, make yourself known to him (i.e. make some noise, clap your hands and yell at him);
- When coyotes are mousing or hunting for food they can become very focused on that and lose their attention of what’s around them so it may be easy to sneak up on him;
- Anyone with dogs always wants to keep them on a leash. (Coyotes may not like other dogs in his area that he is getting food in; coyotes may see other animals as competition for his feeding area);
- If possible travel in pairs not alone;
- Do not throw away any food of feed him; this will make him lose his fear of humans;
- If a coyote approaches you, don’t run away, this can cause him to chase you. You want to make yourself big and loud and walk away slowly.
- Published: Tuesday, 11 December 2018 14:39
Alexander Street Upgrades - Website Link
Interested in the Alexander Street upgrades? All information pertaining to this project will be posted on the 'Alexander Street Upgrade' website, so please refer to it https://www.alexander-street.com/